On November 8, 2016, an alert was announced from the Squaw Valley Ski Resort that they were having an issue with the water supply on the high mountain. CEO Andy Wirth and the Board of Directors of the resort detected bacteria in the water in a routine test. They immediately contacted the Placer County Department of Environmental Health and their findings were confirmed. Small amounts of E. Coli and coliform bacteria were found in the upper mountain water system.
Mr. Wirth closed the restaurants on the upper mountain, and tourists and skiers cannot drink any of the water on the high mountain until the issue is fully resolved. All of the visitors are required to drink bottled water, which Squaw Valley is supplying to all the guests.
The Public Relations Director for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Ski Resorts published a statement on November 30 concerning the water issues. It relayed the information that over the summer a new water system was installed at High Camp and Gold Coast, and that is where the contamination occurred. The contamination occurred because of the high amount of rain in Lake Tahoe this season, which inundated the new pipes and caused the problem.
When the issue was first discovered, Squaw Valley contacted several experts on water management to assess the situation and provide the best suggestions for amending the problem. With this additional help, Squaw Valley is addressing the problem and monitoring the levels. When the levels have been reduced to normal, the restaurants will open and skiers will be notified. But Andy Wirth and the Board refuse to open any of the water supplies on the high mountain until experts and the Placer County Department of Environmental Health agree that it is safe.
Squaw Valley is a popular ski resort for tourists both in the U.S and around the world. This issue has been taken very seriously, and all efforts are being taken to ensure complete safety for the guests.